Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Murphy's Law


You ever have a day where Murphy's Law applies:  If anything can go wrong, it will?  I haven't had just a day of Murphy's Law it has been going on since last Monday.  As I looked back on the last several days it makes me chuckle at all that happened.

Last Monday I received a 5 a.m. wake up call from my opening staff member. 

"Huh.....Michelle....we have an issue." 

And in my best pretend-I'm-awake-voice I said, "Who called in?"

"Well....we have water all over the place."  That woke me up! 

"What do you mean we have water everywhere?"  After a couple more questions I directed her to make some phone calls and I pulled on the first articles of clothing that I could find, slipped on a pair of flip flops and out the door I went.  Long story short here is what we found....I opened one door to find a small pond in the middle of the carpet floor.  I went to walk into one of the classrooms and when I stepped down the water covered my foot (thanked God for the sense to wear those flip flops).  By  mid-morning the water restoration company had cleaned up all the water and had the dehumidifiers and blowers moving in the building so off to home and a well deserved break I went.

Then I picked up my son from school.  I took one look at him. "What is wrong with your eye?"  He looked at me and said, "I dunno....why?"  His eye was swollen and red and upon further inspection had a rash around it.  Suddenly the father-son hunting expedition was replaying in my mind.  "I do believe son you have poison ivy."  Called the doctor's office and got the answer I figured I would get.  Couldn't see him until the morning.

So next morning (Tues) woke up to find Dalton's face is swollen even more and the rash has now spread to the other eye.  Great!  To the doctor we go. And of course, Momma was right...poison ivy.  Took three trips to Walmart pharmacy to get the prescription correct.  No big deal..move on...no need to get upset is what I keep telling myself.

On Wednesday the chaos continued with a trip to the ER.  As I'm sitting in the ER I call back to the office only to have my supervisor answer the phone and tell me a parent had her purse stolen from her car.  As it was parked in front of my office at the preschool.  At this point I am considering having the building blessed and/or prayer service to be held there.

Well I should have called the priest right then and there because we received a call from the restoration company that was trying to dry the building.  They were going to have to rip out the drywall and replace it because the walls were just not getting dry.  "You are going to have to close." Oh...there are going to be some upset parents but what were we to do.  It had to be done.

Friday was spent dealing with painters, carpenters, and drywallers. I did get to go home early and start the weekend. Then Craig calls me on his way home from hunting. "Did you know the SUV has a crack in the bumper?" No way. Sure enough it has a crack and several scrapes across the front. Evidently it has been hit. GREAT!

Anyway you look at it this is not how you want your week to go but here it was.  It was one heck of a week. In some respects I have learned to give it up to God. He is the one in control-not me. In situations of chaos it amazes me how I can have the ability to forget all feelings of 'Oh my gosh what are we gonna do?' and just step up and get things done. It is because God is on my side. He doesn't give me more than I can handle. And looking back God was right there beside me the whole time. Any of those situations could have been MUCH worse than they were but He was there. He helped us through and consistently does. I place my faith in Him.

So while it may seem like one bad thing after another may be happening in your life just remember one thing....you have help. God's hand is in every aspect of your life.  I couldn't be more thankful or blessed that He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment