Friday, December 11, 2009

Favorite Christmas Memories-Vol. 1


We all have favorite memories of Christmas, whether it be something special we received or how we spent the day, there is always something that stands out.  I decided that I would tell some of my favorite memories from now until Christmas.

I don't remember the year but I'm sure most of you will know the time frame.  It was the year of the Cabbage Patch Dolls...and I wanted one bad!!!!!  I do believe I started asking for one six months before Christmas so Santa knew, without a doubt, that was what I wanted.  Who didn't love these little dolls?  They're adorable...round faces, diapers, adoption papers...even the 'Xavier Roberts' signature on thier cute little tushy was priceless!

I asked and hinted.  I did every little chore and task that was asked of me.  I mean I was beyond good...I was golden!  I told every mall Santa I seen that I wanted one of these dolls.  I just knew Christmas morning I was going to wake up and find one of them under the tree.  There was NO way I wasn't going to get one of these dolls.

I don't know how much I slept that night but I'm sure it wasn't much....I just don't sleep much on Christmas night.  There is WAY too much excitement.  I awoke and jumped out of bed and headed to the living room.  And there under the tree was.....a HOMEMADE Cabbage Patch Doll?  What?! Seriously?!  A homemade doll....I mean that was like getting coal!  I was a good girl...I'm the ONLY girl...don't I deserve a real one.  I put up with my big brothers bashings and verbal abuses...didn't I deserve the real thing.

I have (and always will be) a very gracious person.  I said I liked it and made over it.  Then as I continued to open up the other presents my mother handed me another one.  I tore off the paper and there it was....THE REAL CABBAGE PATCH DOLL!  Oh my stars!  I was overjoyed! 

I played all day long with THOSE dolls.  I carried them around, changed their diapers, and overall loved THEM.  As I was told later...my parents had tried to obtain the real Cabbage Patch Doll before Christmas and because of all the rage over them everyone was always sold out.  So my parents got a rain check on them with the hope that one would come up before Christmas.  Not wanting me to be disappointed on Christmas morning if the real thing hadn't arrived, my Mom had a lady from our town make me the other doll so that I would have something similar.  The day before Christmas the real doll arrived at the store.

The irony in all of it....I think I played and enjoyed the homemade doll more than I did the real thing.  Either way it stuck with me all these years!  Sometimes the best gifts are the least expected!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment